Tuesday, 12 August 2014

Dust Brothers

Out of the blue, here's a Dust Tactics Allied Taskforce starter set I painted up. It's amazing how quickly, smoothly and easily stuff paints up when a nice Chinese girl in a factory has already assembled then, and given them a nice matt coloured primer coat. :)

I went for a "green" basing scheme - didn't think that I could pull off the winter camo look that appears to be much of the Dust Tactics aesthetic, it doesn't match our "green" table coverings, and I decided I should use the good base colour they already came in.







This is "Top Hat", my 17 pdr-armed Pounder walker. There is a turret MG and a spotlight for this kit but I left them off as I suspect they'd just snap off in transport. I painted over a couple of the factory-added tampo printings, added the Hat-in-the-Ring badge from my collection of surplus waterslide decals (it's a from a 1:72 First World War aircraft kit), and a freehand tank name on the back of the turret. Colour is just Army Painter Strong Tone Ink over the existing factory basecoat.

(I suspect that "Top Hat" will also see Rouge Trader service as a Stegatank armed with an autocannon and two heavy stubbers).



"Bot Hunters" squad. There is another option in the Allied army for a squad where one of the bazookas is swopped out for another guy with the rifle + rifle grenade combination. A little bit disappointingly these are older figures that came in a box with the newer figures on the front artwork! Newer figures have much more detailed goggles being worn up on the helmet itself - very reminiscent of Falklands War era Argentinians who had the M1 helmet and similar googles. Just painted with detail on the base coat and washed.



This is a poor pic but this the taskforce leader Bazooka Joe and a three man squad of Grim Reapers. I found the Grim Reapers a bit awkward to paint in that if they are overall olive drab then there isn't much detail painting to be done on them. I settled for giving them brass cartridges on their ammo feed belts and numbering the chest plates.

Nice quick and easy project. I have played this, both as Dust Tactics on the included maps and as Dust Tactics Battlefield as a proper "open table" wargame and the latter felt much better despite being pretty much the same game. There are SSU (Sino-Soviet alliance) and German-not-Nazis being painted up within the Stourbridge club.



2 comments:

  1. Nice looking figures and walker. I'm also interested to see how those ogres turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look great! Great job, I wish I had a bit more patience and a steady hand to be able to paint those type of figures. :-)

    ReplyDelete